Last year, I recapped all the books I’d read in any given month. This year, I will recap all the home improvement projects, large and small, we undertake ourselves. This is partly to demonstrate that home ownership is way more involved than styling mantels, especially in an old home, and also to keep us accountable.
We painted Tyler’s room. Not only did his room have numerous drywall patches from the electrical work, he had a gigantic drywall patch from when we moved the closet door from his room to ours (which was almost a year ago, oops).
He chose Steamed Milk. Well, let’s be honest – he didn’t care and we had a few gallons left from previous painting projects. I also made him deep-clean his room, which was a contentious and eye-rolly process. Whatever. Here’s the finished product:
Total cost: $0
We added light fixtures. During the re-wiring, we were obligated to add light fixtures in a couple of areas in the house. Apparently the building permit division frowns upon having completely unlighted stairways and laundry closets. Pfffft. You call it a hazard, I call it an adventure.
Back stairway, before:
After, with an adorable tiny schoolhouse light:
We also replaced the bare bulb in the laundry room with this fixture (I cannot contort myself enough to get a decent photo of it, so use your imagination):
I ordered both fixtures from Wayfair. Total Cost: $92.43.
We painted Jensen’s room. We expended all our leftover paint in Tyler’s room, so we had to buy new paint for this project. Whomp WHOMP. She asked for gray, so I picked a moody blue-gray. We also sprang for the one-coat paint at Lowe’s, and MAN was that a good decision.
Before, the room was a caramel-y tan color, with drywall patches:
Total Cost: $45 for one gallon of paint.