Day 14: Ten things that make you really happy.
(Caveat: Obviously, my family makes me super-happy, but they’re people, not things.)
1. The Bevolo gas lamp on my front porch:
3. Sweet potato pancakes at Canopy Roads Cafe. I don’t normally like sweets for breakfast (pass the bacon, please) but these are amazing:
4. Boston Terriers. They’re small but sturdy, intelligent and affectionate – basically my perfect dog. I’m so glad to have become involved in rescue work for this breed.
5. Ron the Cat. (Ron would protest vigorously that he is not a “thing.”) He is, by far, the best cat I’ve ever owned, and possibly the best cat in all of existence, ever. He’s the opposite of aloof. If a new person comes to the door, Ron bounds over to meet them (and see if they have any carbs for him to eat). He carries Tyler’s Nerf darts around in his mouth like foam cigars. He meows while eating. I love him.
6. I usually fall in love with one television show at a time, but right now I’m completely hooked by two – Downton Abbey and Once Upon a Time. Before them, Battestar Galactica. And I devoted almost a decade to The X-Files.
7. My Kindle and its cover. I resisted the Kindle for a long time, but Jason knew me better than I knew myself, and got me one for Christmas a few years ago. The volume of reading I’ve done with it is astounding. For Valentine’s Day this year he got me a cover with whales on it. Enough said.
8. My octopus chairs. I fall in love with them every time I see them. Because OCTOPUS.
9. Cadbury Mini Creme Eggs. I buy three or four packages at Easter and ration them out all year long.
10. My Kitchenaid stand mixer, emerald green. My grandmother bought it for me when I was in college, probably 13 years ago, and it still performs beautifully. I use it frequently, for pizza dough and meatloaf and brownies and all manner of other delicious noms.