The first time I saw it, I knew it had to be mine.
I’m speaking, of course, of The Lima Bean Wreath.
I’m not sure why I was so drawn to it. Maybe because I knew it would look amazing against our black front door. The simplicity certainly appealed to me – I can’t tell you how many projects are billed as “easy and cheap” yet require you to have several hundred dollars’ worth of supplies “on hand.” Anyway, I was filled with burning lima bean conviction – I had to make it. I ran out of time in 2011, so I started early this year – in September, to be precise. I purchased a 16″ foam wreath form at Hobby Lobby (40% off) and two large bags o’ beans. Total cost: around $10.00. I already had a $5.00 glue gun and enough mini glue sticks to choke a goat.
My wreath form had squared-off edges, so before starting I asked Jason to round them a bit with his pocketknife. It took all of 5 minutes.
And one Sunday, while watching the Jacksonville Jaguars lose spectacularly to the Texans, I glued approximately a bajillion beans onto that wreath form. I started at kickoff:
By halftime, I was about 40% finished. Please note that Ron has moved to a chair on the other side of the room to continue his nap. This happened after the 54th time I accidentally touched the glue gun to my skin.
I completed the project around 5:00. For those of you playing along at home, that’s FOUR HOURS OF BEAN-GLUING.
Almost perfect. Since I was unable (ok, too lazy) to find a white wreath form, I pretty much guessed that I, like my All Things Thrifty predecessor, would be spray-painting this bad boy:
I had a can of antique white, and I applied two light coats. Frustratingly, the paint did not make it all the way to the green foam, but stuck to the beans.
However, after extensive experimentation, I discovered that 1) you couldn’t tell from the street and 2) I didn’t actually care that much.
The wreath sat in my guest room until last night, when I finally hung it after mastering How To Tie A Bow: