If there’s one thing I love, it’s Jason.
If there are two things I love, they’re Jason and free furniture.
Some friends of ours were getting rid of extra furniture, so I swooped in an picked up a bookcase, a bedroom set (bed, tall dresser, long low dresser), a coat rack, and a set of chairs.
“This week, on Hoarders….”
ANYWAY. The bedroom set was in great condition, and very well-made, but it looked…..dated. And the finish was dinged up. It was, in short, a perfect candidate for my very first glazing project. I read a ton of tutorials online, but tried to follow this one from All Things Thrifty as much as possible.
I selected the headboard as my first victim, er, guinea pig.
I slapped on two good coats of my trusty Zinsser spray primer, and two light coats of flat white Rustoleum spray paint.
Here, it already looks much better, but I was trusting the glaze to really bring out all the details.
I asked my friend April, Goddess of Painting, to help me (and share blame if it was a disaster). We mixed four parts glaze to one part black paint and began to work.
It was surprisingly easy. I was kind of shocked that I didn’t totally ruin the piece. You just brush on the glaze mixture, and wipe off the excess with a damp rag. The glaze sticks in the crevices and dings. Magic! In the picture above, you can see the before/after – the bottom half of the picture shows the piece glazed, the top half is unglazed.
The whole process took about an hour, I think, but we were being very slow and cautious.
And here’s a detail shot:
Jason and I put it in Tyler’s room yesterday afternoon:
Because this bed doesn’t have a footboard, his room feels much bigger.
Glazing is not that hard! It’s a bit more work than simply painting a piece, but the results are fantastic and unique. I am excited to tackle my next glazing project, which will probably be the tall dresser in Tyler’s room. Stay tuned!